Saturday, May 30, 2015

ACTUALLY day 8

I'm owning it. This is actually my 8th day without sugar. The 25 May start date really was arbitrary and it lets face it, it got me started.

So what have I learnt in the last week? There is a lot of information out there about quitting sugar and I think it really does confuse a lot of people. Like using honey is better than using sugar. Honey is still a sugar and contains about 40% fructose. And fructose which makes you fat and sick.

And of course there is fructose in fruit (which is a whole other post in itself).

The handy cheat sheet below is taken from Eve O. Schaub's memoir 'Year of no sugar'.


Super scary stuff right. So the question is for me (since I love to bake) - what should I use??

From what I have read I know that brown malt syrup is probably one of the best sweeteners, however it also isn't that sweet. Another goodie is dextrose (David Gillespie, author of Sweet Poison, calls it 'safe'). This is because neither of these sweeteners have fructose.

So this weekend I am going to attempt to bake with dextrose. Here's hoping my creations are edible!


No comments:

Post a Comment